22 Alexandra Street, Hunters Hill NSW 2110

Our History

Home » Council » About Council » Our History

Our History

The Municipality of Hunters Hill has a wonderfully rich and diverse history which precedes Federation and the formation of the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901.

Hunters Hill is a leafy sandstone peninsula stretching from Pittwater Road to Onions Point, at the convergence of the Lane Cove into the Parramatta Rivers; approximately 7 kilometres from the CBD of Sydney. The Aboriginal name for the land is Moocooboola, meaning meeting of waters.

The Original inhabitant of this area was the Wallumedegal clan who used the Woolwich area for thousands of years prior to European settlement. opens in a new windowMore information on our Indigenous Heritage click here.

Early French settlers, including the Joubert brothers and Gabriel de Milhau, were influential in gaining the proclamation of Hunters Hill as a separate Borough in 1861 and much of the character of the Municipality has developed since that time.

The Municipality includes the leafy suburbs of Gladesville (part), Henley, Hunters Hill, Huntleys Cove, Huntleys Point and Woolwich. Visually, it is easy to see why the area is recognised as Australia’s oldest garden suburb, with more than 70% of the Municipality declared a conservation area.

Nomenclature

The origin of the name has been the subject of debate. There is a romantic theory that the name is derived from Huntershill House, the family home near Edinburgh of Thomas Muir, one of the Scottish martyrs transported here in 1794 for sedition. A more likely source is Captain John Hunter, Commander of Sirius in the First Fleet and second Governor of the Colony. The hunting horn on the Hunter’s Hill Coat of Arms is taken from the Arms of John Hunter’s family.

Proclamation

Early French settlers, among them the brothers Joubert and the exiled Comte Gabriel de Milhau, were influential in gaining the proclamation of Hunter’s Hill as a separate Borough in January 1861 and much of the character of the Municipality, as we know it, developed from that time until the years of World War I. Many of the buildings date back to that period and were constructed from local sandstone – these buildings, typical of development at that time, not only remain but refuse to be submerged by modern development.

Architecture and Heritage

The area possesses an interesting mix of architectural styles and building materials although locally quarried sandstone was favoured by our pioneers. The people are heritage conscious and about three quarters of the Municipality has been declared a conservation area. Ideally located between the Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers, Hunters Hill is a great place to call home.

1978 Town Hall Fire

On 8 January 1978, a fire caused extensive damage to the Town Hall.
Six Brigades were called out to extinguish the fire, which virtually destroyed the Records room, Town Hall stage and roof. The Town Hall floor was badly damaged and the Council Chamber and Offices were affected by smoke and water. The only area to escape significant damage was the Historical Museum and the street facade. Council resolved to continue operations from the C.A Fairland Hall in Church Street for the duration of the disaster.

Apostrophe?

The suburb of Hunters Hill does not contain an apostrophe, however an apostrophe is used when referring to Hunter’s Hill Council.

Visit the Hunters Hill Museum

The Hunters Hill Museum is open Tuesday – Friday 10am to noon.

Hunters Hill Town Hall, 22 Alexandra Street, Hunters Hill

For more information on our history visit:

opens in a new windowHunters Hill Museum
opens in a new windowHunters Hill Trust

Back to the top

Hunter’s Hill Council

22 Alexandra Street, Hunters Hill NSW 2110
PO Box 21, Hunters Hill NSW 2110
Tel: (02) 9879 9400