Road Opening

A road opening permit is required in accordance with Section 138 of the Roads Act for any intrusive digging in the public road or footpath. The type of works covered by this application:

  • installation, maintenance, repairs/replacement or upgrading of utilities (water, gas, electricity or telecommunications)
  • stormwater or sewer connection works and repairs
  • any investigative works in Council land.

A driveway application is required for construction of driveways or replacing redundant driveways with new footpaths.

All permanent restorations of roads or footpaths can only be undertaken by Council.


Step 1.Get the Facts

Familiarise yourself with Council's fact sheet and conditions(PDF, 490KB) and utility company fact sheet(PDF, 313KB).

Step 2.Prepare Documents

To apply for a road opening permit you must provide:

  • Before You Dig cover sheet, including utility sequence numbers
  • contractor details, including licence number
  • Public Liability Insurance of $20 million (minimum $20,000,000 with an endorsement of Hunter's Hill Council as an interested party)
  • traffic management plan, including traffic control plan and pedestrian management plan (certified by an RMS accredited ticket holder)
  • plans or details diagrams
  • written approval from third parties including NSW Police, RMS etc.

Step 3.Select Date

Applications must be submitted a minimum of seven business days prior to proposed work date or an urgency fee of $606.50 applies. Applications submitted with less than three days noticed will be refused.

Apply and pay online

Apply Now

Step 4.Receive Your Permit  

Council staff will email you a copy of your permit once it has been approved. A copy of this approval must be available on site at all times.

Under no circumstances should work commence without receipt of a permit from Council.