A dividing fence dispute is a disagreement between neighbours about a fence or proposed fence that separates neighbouring properties.

A dividing fence is usually located on the common boundary between the two properties.

Instances such as these are considered civil matters between two parties and are not within local councils’ jurisdiction.

If you and your neighbour cannot agree on fencing work, you can apply to the opens in a new windowNSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) to make orders and resolve the dispute.