hh logo
Skip Links
Text Size
Text Bigger
Text Smaller
Last Updated
Monday, May 13, 2019
Chemical Clean Out

Household Hazardous Waste

The Northern Sydney Community Recycling Centre and EPA Chemical CleanOut Events Household Chemical allow you to dispose of hazardous waste such as paints, oils, e-waste, batteries, mobile phones, gas bottles, smoke detectors, fluorescent bulbs/globes, x-rays and ink cartridges. Chemicals are only accepted at EPA sponsored CleanOut events which are held at various locations throughout NSW on specified dates throughout the year.

Locations, dates and permitted chemicals are subject to change. Council may also show these events on our own calendar, however please check the CleanOut website for updates before arranging your household cleanout or leaving home.

Residents of NSW have access to at least one Household Chemical CleanOut event a year. In addition the NSW EPA also funds a growing network of permanent Community Recycling Centres where residents can drop off a number of problem waste items at a time that suits them rather than waiting for the annual CleanOut event. See www.cleanout.com.au for locations of Community Recycling Centres in NSW.

Items are not accepted outside the times advertised by the EPA. Illegal dumping could cause harm to people and the environment and may result in a hefty fine.

What items can I take to an EPA Household CleanOut event?

You can generally take household quantities of the following household chemicals and items, up to a maximum of 20 litres or 20 kilograms of a single item.

  • Solvents and household cleaners
  • Floor care products
  • Ammonia-based cleaners
  • Pesticides and herbicides
  • Poisons
  • Pool chemicals
  • Hobby chemicals
  • Acids and alkalis
  • Fluorescent globes and tubes
  • Smoke detectors
  • Paint and paint-related products
  • Gas bottles
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Car and household batteries
  • Motor oils and cooking oils

What items can I take to the Northern Sydney Community Recycling Centre?

You can take these types of items to either a Household Chemical CleanOut event, or to a Community Recycling Centre.

  • Fluorescent globes and tubes
  • Smoke detectors
  • Paint and paint-related products
  • Gas bottles
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Car and household batteries
  • Motor oils and cooking oils
  • Computers, televisions and associated peripheral e-waste
  • X-rays
  • Ink cartridges

Where is the Northern Sydney Community Recycling Centre

8 Waltham St, ARTARMON
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Friday 8am - 2pm; Saturday, Sunday 8am - 4pm
The service is FREE to use.

What happens to chemical waste?

There are also huge long-term benefits to the environment of disposing of hazardous household materials correctly. Removing these materials from the waste stream and putting them back into the productive economy as most are recyclable makes kerbside collection safer, reduces environmental damage to the land and waterways and reduces the use of new natural resources.

Hazardous wastes taken to a Household Chemical Clean Out or the Community Recycling Centre are processed by the EPA’s contractor, Toxfree as follows:

  • Paint is mixed with other solvents and used in cement manufacturing while the metal containers are recycled;
  • Gas cylinders have any remaining gas taken out while the steel in the bottle is recycled. However, many of the bottles are returned to the hire market – so they are reused rather than recycled;
  • Lead, acid and plastic in batteries are recovered and recycled;
  • Fluoro tubes, which contain mercury, are crushed to isolate the phosphor powder from the glass. This powder is processed to capture any mercury, which is then sold for a range of industrial uses while the leftover glass and metals is put back into the recycling system.
  • E-Waste is broken down and precious metals and phosphorous are extracted, processed to remove contaminants and returned to the economy
  • Chemicals are treated by incineration.

Through a network of 101 Community Recycling Centres, people have during 2016-17 disposed of more than 3 million kilos of hazardous household waste. The most common item collected is paint which makes up about 60 per cent of all the materials collected. The remaining 40% comprises gas bottles, fire extinguishers, motor oils, car and household batteries, smoke detectors, and fluoro globes and tubes at CRC’s and ammonia-based cleaners, pesticides and herbicides collected at Clean Out events and selected CRC’s.

Powered by